Next week (October 9th to 15th) is Fire Prevention Week. This year the theme is Don’t Wait, Check the Date (on your smoke alarms).
It’s also a great time of year to brush up on the emergency and fire safety procedures in your workplace.
Here’s a few things you should know:
- the location of two exits closest to their work area;
- the location of the nearest fire alarm pull station and how to use it;
- the phone number for the Fire Department (9-1-1);
- your responsibilities in a fire, which are in the fire safety plan;
the fire emergency procedures posted on your floor.
If you discover a fire
- Activate the nearest fire alarm pull station on the fire floor.
- Leave the area immediately, closing all doors behind you.
- Take keys with you.
- Go to the nearest exit and leave the building. Close all doors behind you.
- If you encounter smoke, consider taking an alternate stairwell/exit. Heat and smoke rise leaving cleaner air near the floor. Crawl low under smoke.
- Call 9-1-1 regardless of the size of the fire. Never assume this has been done.
Give correct address, location of fire and your name.
And here’s a little video from The Office…on exactly HOW NOT to handle a fire in the workplace.
Source: Toronto Fire Services