I didn’t know there was a right or wrong way to text and turns out, I’ve been doing it wrong this whole time and breaking so many rules!
1) Don’t use a period. It means you’ve got attitude! Your receiver will think you’re not sincere and that you’re trying to cut off the conversation early.
2) Do use more emojis. They can soften or accentuate the meaning of something. I have a friend who uses at least 10 emojis per text and I always make fun of her for it, but to her credit, I always know how she’s feeling about something and what she’s trying to say. “Great” can be interpreted very differently from “Great JJJJJJ”
3) Do use exclamation marks to convey excitement and enthusiasm. Similar to emojis, they can change the meaning of a statement. “That sounds awesome” doesn’t sound as exciting as “That sounds awesome!!!”
4) Don’t use one letter. I’m so guilty of doing this. I say “K” all the time and apparently I’m giving the middle finger to someone without even knowing it! (Apparently that’s the texting equivalent.) The receiver will think that you don’t have time for them and don’t want to talk to them. I’m so sorry to all of the people I’ve ever texted “k” to.
5) Do say “yep” instead of “yup.” Even though it’s such a small change, it can make a big difference to how the receiver perceives your text. “Yep” is upbeat and friendly and “yup” means you would rather be doing anything else but texting the person you’re texting.
What other texting dos and don’ts would you add to this list?