April 25th marks World Penguin Day!
So to celebrate our webbed-feet, tuxedo wearing friends, here’s 5 Things You DIDN’T Know About Penguins…
5. Adelie penguins can move faster than humans can run.
4. Some prehistoric penguins were almost as tall and/or as heavy as an adult human!
3. Penguins survived what the dinosaurs didn’t! There are fossils that put penguin ancestors back 60 million years ago!
2. Penguins loose all their feathers at once. It’s called the catastrophic molt, and takes about two to three weeks of just staying dry on land.
1. They have incredible hearing! Even though you can’t see their ears, they can hear specific calls from their mates from really far away.
(Video via GIPHY)