UPDATE: Barrie’s First Fire Fatality

Flames Broke Out Around 11:30

Barrie Fire officials say Saturday night’s killer shed fire on Gowan Street started near an extension cord and that there were no smoke or carbon monoxide alarms in the shed. They remind everyone that extension cords are not designed as permanent wiring; they are temporary use only, and to ensure there are working alarms in all living areas. Barrie Police say the man who died in the fire is believed to have been living in the shed.
Click here for extension cord safety tips from the Electrical Safety Authority.
Officials are investigating after a fatal fire in the city last night. The blaze on Gowan St. required 18 firefighters. Neighbours say a man may have been living in the shed that went up in flames. Officials say he was taken to hospital. Police and fire officials do not know if the structure had smoke detectors or CO alarms.