Downtown Barrie starts getting a facelift starting today. Work on the reconstruction of Memorial Square and Meridian Place, which will include a bandshell and better connections with downtown and the waterfront, begins with the permanent closure of Fred Grant Street as of today (June 1). Meridin place will be a venue that accommodates large events and showcases local talent. Other features include:
- The installation of storm sewers and sanitary sewers
- Poured concrete structures including fountains, retaining walls, planters and walking surfaces
- Historic reference to the 9 Mile Portage
- The relocation of the cenotaph to make it the central focus of the square
- A turning circle will be incorporated at the end of Chase MacEachern Way
You may encounter delays on Dunlop Street as the work progresses. Completion expected by next spring.