Election Day

What You Need To Know To Vote

Much of what you need to know is on the Voter Registration Card most Canadians received in the mail. Your polling station and other information is on that card.

If you did not receive a Voter Registration Card you can still vote. Click here for information on how to register and where your polling station is.

Polling stations in Ontario are open from 9:30am to 9:30pm.

ID to vote

You must prove your identity and address to register and vote in a federal election. Here are your ID options when you are voting in person – at an Elections Canada office, at advance polls or on election day:

There are three options to prove your identity and address

1) Show one of these pieces of ID

your driver’s licence
your provincial or territorial ID card
any other government card with your photo, name and current address

2) Show two pieces of ID

At least one must have your current address

health card
Canadian passport
birth certificate
certificate of Canadian citizenship
citizenship card
social insurance number card
Indian status card
band membership card
Métis card
card issued by an Inuit local authority
Canadian Forces identity card
Veterans Affairs health card
old age security card
hospital card
medical clinic card
label on a prescription container
identity bracelet issued by a hospital or long-term care facility
blood donor card
CNIB card
credit card
debit card
employee card
student identity card
public transportation card
library card
liquor identity card
parolee card
firearms licence
licence or card issued for fishing, trapping or hunting
utility bill (e.g. electricity; water; telecommunications services including telephone, cable or satellite)
bank statement
credit union statement
credit card statement
personal cheque
government statement of benefits
government cheque or cheque stub
pension plan statement
residential lease or sub-lease
mortgage contract or statement
income tax assessment
property tax assessment or evaluation
vehicle ownership
insurance certificate, policy or statement
correspondence issued by a school, college or university
letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee
targeted revision form from Elections Canada to residents of long-term care facilities
letter of confirmation of residence from a First Nations band or reserve or an Inuit local authority
letter of confirmation of residence, letter of stay, admission form or statement of benefits from one of the following designated establishments:
student residence
seniors’ residence
long-term care facility
soup kitchen

e-statements and e-invoices are acceptable. Print them or show them on a mobile device.

3) If your ID does not have your current address, take an oath

Show two pieces of ID with your name and have someone who knows you attest to your address. This person must show proof of identity and address, be registered in the same polling division, and attest for only one person.

Important information about ID
Your voter information card is not a piece of ID.
We accept pieces of ID in their original format. If your document was issued electronically, like an e-statement or an e-invoice, bring a printout or show it on a mobile device.
We accept different pieces of ID from the same source if the documents serve different purposes. For example, we accept an invoice and a transcript from the same school.
Your name and address must be printed on the ID. They can’t be added by hand, unless they are added by the issuer of the document, like a residence administrator or a guardian.
We accept expired ID, as long as it has your name and current address.
The pieces of ID listed above are authorized by the Chief Electoral Officer. No other pieces will be accepted.
The pieces of ID required for a federal election are not the same as for provincial, territorial or municipal elections.