Improper Smoke Detector Use Discovered Following Barrie Fire

Fines Could Be Pending After Fire That Damaged Eight of Nine Townhouse Units

The cause of an Owen St. fire yesterday hasn’t been determined, but what has been determined is some folks are in hot water over this one. Barrie Fire Services Samantha Hoffman tells us after a fire damaged six units of a 9 unit townhouse complex yesterday, investigators say they found a number of smoke alarm violations. They say some were expired, others in the wrong location, one home was missing smoke detectors altogether, and they say in one unit, the battery was even installed backwards.