Orillia Rooming House Fire Caused By Unattended Candle

No Injuries Following Second Floor Blaze

The Orillia Fire Service is blaming a candle for a fire at a rooming house last night. Emergency crews rushed out just past 8:30 last evening to a complex on Matchedash St., with a fire reported in a second floor apartment. While there were no injuries, there was enough smoke, water, and fire damage, that residents were given temporary housing at the Econolodge on Memorial. Orillia Fire Chief Rick Dominelli says the fire was caused by a candle left unattended on a wooden chair, and caused about $50,000 in damage.