Have you gotten a visit to your door from an overly aggressive water heater sales person or something similar recently? You’re not alone. South Simcoe Police say they’ve gotten a number of complaints lately of aggressive door-to-door sales people trying to bully their way into your home, often under the guise of being from legitimate utilities. Police are offering up some advice as a result:
- Ask for photo ID and get the name of the person and the business.
- Never share personal information (For example, an electricity or gas bill).
- If you ask a salesperson to leave, they must leave right away. If you feel unsafe, call local police.
- Look at the company name on the salesperson’s business card and promotional material and see if it matches the company name on the proposed contract.
- Do not rely on a salesperson’s opinion that your water heater is unsafe or should be replaced.
- Local utility companies, municipalities, government agencies or regulatory organizations don’t send salespeople door-to-door .
- You do not have to sign a contract at that time.
- If you have any concerns about the conduct of anyone who comes to your door, call South Simcoe Police immediately.