More funny money making the rounds in town. After a spate of counterfeit US $50s cropped up late last year, Barrie Police say now someone’s trying to pass off fake $20 bills. Police believe there are more phony bills out there, after getting reports two people passed counterfeit bills at a fast food joint in town on Sunday. The suspects are described as:
Suspect # 1
- Heavy build
- Wearing a black hat and white t-shirt
- Heavy build
- Long black hair with blond highlights (balayage style)
- Wearing a black t-shirt and carrying a purse.
If you have US currency in your possession and are unsure of its authenticity, follow these steps to certify the real value of your money or contact police for assistance.
- Counterfeit money will often feel distinctly different from authentic money.
- Genuine money is often thinner than counterfeit money.
- Compare the bill with another legit bill of the same denomination.
- Inspect the printing quality.
- Examine the serial numbers; each bill will have a different serial number.
- Check the security features on the bill. The bills will be equipped with a security thread (plastic strip) that runs vertically and the bill will have watermarks.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Constable Hunt of the Barrie Police Service at 705-725-7025 ext.2690, email@example.com