UPDATE: SIU Waiting For Toxicology Report While Investigating Barrie Man’s Death

Thirty-Two Year Old Goes Into Medical Distress At Police Station

June 27th

The Special Investigations Unit tells our newsroom an autopsy on the 32-year-old man has been completed, while investigators are waiting for the results of a toxicology test before making any other announcements. The SIU says the toxicology report could take months.

June 26th

The Barrie Police Service says it stands by its officers, but cannot comment on an ongoing SIU investigation.

RELATED: Vigil for Olando Brown

June 23rd

Much discussion and debate on social media at the weekend related to the death of a 32-year-old man while in the custody of Barrie Police, and a video purportedly taken by a bystander during his arrest early Friday afternoon near Bayfield and Dunlop Streets.

It shows two, then three officers, wrestling with an unidentified man. A taser can also be seen.

It does not show events leading up to the scuffle nor what happened as the man was being taken away

Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit has been called in to probe the matter. Due to the SIU involvement, Barrie Police cannot comment on the case.

The man’s identity has not been released by police nor by the SIU. A cause of death has yet to be revealed.

The SIU preliminary information suggests the following:

  • At approximately 2:30 p.m. on June 22, 2018, the man was arrested by Barrie Police Service officers and transported to the police station
  • While being booked, the man went into medical distress
  • Paramedics arrived, provided first aid to the man and transported him to hospital
  • A short time later, he was pronounced dead

Three subject officers and one witness officer have been designated.

The SIU asks anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit also urges anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.