Smoke Alarm Helps Prevent Kitchen Fire in Gravenhurst

Pot Left on Stove, Element on High, As Resident Heads To Work

Disaster averted in Gravenhurst this morning, thanks to a smoke alarm and a neighbour with keen hearing. The Gravenhurst Fire Service got the call to a Bethune Road apartment building around 5:30 this morning, after a neighbour could hear the smoke alarm going off in a second floor unit. Firefighters got in and say the resident had left a pot on the stove, with the element on high, before leaving for work. And the resident isn’t alone; kitchen fires remain the most common types of fires across the province, while unattended cooking causes over half of those kitchen fires.