Students over at Georgian College were given a pretty unique lesson today. Barrie Fire Services set up a pop up kitchen in the campus parking lot this morning, then they set it on fire. It burnt to a crisp in a few moments, so the fire service could show these kids how quickly a kitchen fire can get out of control, a lesson Barrie Fire’s Samantha Hoffman says everyone should learn, as they get a lot of calls about kitchen fires.
She says if you have to leave the stove on unattended, set a timer, or better yet, wear an oven mitt. It’s pretty hard to forget you’re cooking something if you’ve got an oven mitt on everywhere you go.