It’s super hot and of course, it’s important to stay hydrated. But, before you down a giant bottle or glass of cold water, you may want to bring it to room temperature first!
According to experts, the stomach is going hypothermic and so it takes the warm blood and sends it to the stomach. You can lose consciousness. Experts say that cold water is good, but only in sips. Room temperature water is better if you need fast rehydration.
According to NDTV Food, there are five major reasons you should not drink chilled water in the summer:
- It restricts digestion – Cold drinks, in general, can contract your blood vessels, which can restrict digestion, but also hinders the natural process of absorbing nutrients during digestion.
- It can give you a sore throat – Gulping cold drinks can cause a build-up of mucus resulting in a sore throat and stuffy nose.
- It inhibits the breakdown of fats – Drinking chilled water just after you eat can solidify the fats from the foods you have just consumed, which will make it tough for your body to break down unwanted fats.
- It can decrease heart rate – Drinking ice water can stimulate the vagus nerve. which mediates the lowering of heart rate.
- It shocks your body – If you’re overheated and drink ice-cold water, the mismatch of temperatures can shock your body and cause a multitude of symptoms like stomach pain and nausea.