Lisa LaFlamme says she was “blindsided” by CTV’s “crushing” decision to replace her as the lead anchor on CTV National News. And if that’s not bad enough, she was told on June 29th-and had to continue her job and keep her mouth shut until yesterday, August 15th.
After CTV made the announcement Monday afternoon, Lisa took to Twitter to inform Canadians that her contract was not going to be renewed and it was a “business decision.”
LaFlamme assumed CTV’s top news anchor role in 2011 when Lloyd Robertson retired at 77. He had spent more than four decades as a national news anchor at the network.
Over the years, she received numerous honours, including being named to the Order of Canada in 2019. Earlier this year LaFlamme won best news anchor at the Canadian Screen Awards.
In her social media video, she thanked viewers and her colleagues for their “unwavering support” while she acknowledged this was likely her official sign-off from CTV.
In a press release, Bell Media said it was “recognizing changing viewer habits” as it moved “the role of its Chief News Anchor in a different direction.”