Here are eight examples. Let’s see if you’re in the majority or not when it comes to how they’re pronounced . . .
1. Caramel: CAR-muhl . . . or CARE-uh-mel? 65% of people say CARE-uh-mel.
2. Bagel: BAY-gull . . . or BAG-ull? 9% of us say BAG-ull.
3. Salmon: SAM-uhn . . . or SAL-muhn? 19% pronounce the “L”.
4. Pecan: PEE-can . . . or puh-KAHN? The winner is PEE-can with 68% of the vote.
5. Jalapeño: Halla-PEEN-yo . . . or halla-PEN-yo? That one’s closer than we expected. 40% of people say halla-PEN-yo.
6. Espresso: ESS-presso . . . or EX-presso? 16% say EX, even though it’s wrong.
7. Crêpe: Krep . . . or krayp? 64% pronounce it with a hard “Y” sound . . . krayp.
8. Syrup: SIR-up . . . or SEER-up? It’s a tie. Both got 50% of the vote.